Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Recouping from Relay

Hey There! Well as you see I didn't post last week because I was completely busy fitting everything in before our Relay For Life that was on Saturday to Sunday. So let me start with a bit of history...
My mom was diagnosed with a rare brain tumor in October 2008. My sister actually took her to the ER on my sisters birthday and we found it out. My mom lived a few counties away from us kids so we would talk to her but didn't see her daily. It was a very big shock. I had just had a baby in August 2008. My mom was not able to come and see me and the baby yet so when I saw her she was at the hospital getting ready to go in and have the tumor removed as much as possible. She was not able to think and stuff completely. That was hard to watch her struggle with simple tasks and stuff. So the tumor was very big and they couldn't remove it all. She was given 3 months to 9 months to live. She passed away 3 months later on January 15th 2009. She was only 53.
So my sister and I decided to do our own team for the Relay for Life this year. My sister used to be part of the team her work did but we decided to start our own. Our team was ~Team Monster Mash~ Cancer is a monster and we need to mash it out! We wanted our team in memory of our mom and a friends mom who also passed away from cancer, and friends who have gone through it also.
We raised just over 5,000.00!! I think that was pretty awesome for our first year and it's just us! Well let me say that this girl is soo not used to staying awake all night long and walking that much either! My legs were sore but nothing major, I was more tired than anything :0)  Very tired!   We made stuff to sell during the Relay, I made a "lemonade" type stand and sold cookies and then my sister made a strong man game for people to play. We made monster faces out of tissue boxes that kids could throw a ball into and they got a piece of candy then. Everything went great, it was a long tiring night, but we made it and had fun. One of those things you wish you didn't have to be there but it's just how it is. God is still good, all the time.  I think my favorite part was when all the luminary bags were lit at night with all the lights out and everyone was walking quietly, very moving.
So I took some photos of our booth and stuff to share....

that's my niece standing in front of our tent, in her pjs

our tent area



My sweets stand~ my mom's picture on our team banner


not the best image but they had the words HOPE and CURE 
spelled out in the luminary bags on the bleachers, we were at
 a high school football field, it looked amazing
some of my mom's luminary's  






Well that's about all for today, not much of a happy fun post but that's what I have been up to this past week and stuff. I did get a chance to make some homemade marshmallows that I will show you soon! 
Have a great week, we will be shopping for shoes for my daughters school dance coming up soon and my son has his senior prom the same night so we have alot of picture taking coming up :0) 
~*~Blessings~*~
Jen

1 comment:

  1. not much of a happy post? oh Jen! it IS! because of the wondrous light that you and your family showed to help others through everything you have done. your Mom is smiling down on you for sure! God bless you & your family and THANK YOU for all you have done to help cancer victims. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!